Wednesday, September 21, 2011

In strangers we trust (An open letter to Jaywalkers and Rash Drivers)


Dear Jaywalkers & Rash Drivers,

You walk on the street.
Putting it in a realistic way, YOU JAYWALK ON THE ROAD.
You don't deny it, and you know there is no hurry to die. Then why risk your life?

I know that you KNOW you will live long. If a road accident was the only way you would die, you would live for eternity.
But still you won't listen unless there is a rule to impose fine on jaywalkers.

You do it because you trust me. Yes, you trust the stranger in me. You are confident about your jaywalking - you are probably the best jaywalker around.
Having said that, you being so sweetly confident about me not knocking you down with my car, is not sweet at all.

You think that my mom told me to avoid strangers, so I would avoid you and therefore, not knock you down.

So even when you are driving, you are not bothered about it turning out to be a rash ride once in a while, because you know that you can trust the strangers on the wheels around you. Right, we would take care not to knock you down, even if it's your fault.

Even if I honoured you with the choicest words for being careless on the road, you would probably think it's just out of 'strangerly' affection. Wouldn't you?But I know why you are like that. I know why you jaywalk. I know why you drive so rash. I know because I am one of you, maybe sometimes. I am the 'I' in you.

Please don't Jaywalk. Wait for the pavements to be built. Wait for zebra crossings to be painted.

But yes, you can drive rash, because we fellow drivers know you would be there, and the people walking around anyway trust you like you trust us.

Keep up with the trust in strangers like us,

Strangely yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment